Thursday, August 20, 2009

Newschwanstein and Co.




Castle Newschwanstein is one of the must-do-s when one gets to Munich, I suppose. I myself was there twice and I definitely don't need a third time. So it was pretty cool that Goethe Institut organized a trip to Newschwanstein for the students. Actually it was Amund's trip so I'd better let him report about it :).

There was also a festival called Tollwood, a semianual festival with arts, music, theater, performances, handicraft stands etc, taking place in Olympiapark that weekend. So Amund had some stuff to do and see while I was still busy with the thesis. He was besides busy with his German class, too, I bet he must speak German crazily now :)

Ready at Hauptbahnhof



Ok, here comes my version of the story (Amund). I went to neuschwanstein, and a couple of other famous places with the language school. The castle itself was rather full of people. It was ofcourse also being renovated while we were there, so it looked kinda crappy. I didn't really like it that much, but it was my first trip to the alps, and that was nevertheless a very nice experience, seing how the mountains just suddenly pop out of the flat landscape around.

Castle Linderhof (with a little of the Alps behind)



This is how the mountains just pop out of the flat land


Tollwood was a nice little festival. That weekend the weather was pretty good too. So I strolled around at this festival for a few hours, observing the strange germans, making notes, considering what to do. Then I got lured by a faint smell, it seemed familiar, but something was different. Paralyzed by the enchanting aroma, I walked like a blind, over to a stand and bought a sausage. Later I also ended up buing some arabian food, coffee with waffels, and a radler (I wanted a beer but ended up with a 50/50 mix of beer and lemonade (I think) instead). Ok, so I guess mostly I was just eating and looking this day.

-Amund



Back to blog

No comments:

Post a Comment